About the Centre
The state institution “N. N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre” is the leading oncological institution in the Republic of Belarus, providing the full range of services in the field of diagnosis, treatment and education. N. N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre is the major medical research institution in the Republic of Belarus.
The Centre provides free-of-charge examination and treatment for the citizens of the Republic of Belarus and also renders paid medical services for foreign subjects.
N. N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre is an integral research, treatment and education complex. It includes four scientific departments, ten scientific laboratories, 17 inpatient and 15 diagnostic divisions.
The Oncology Chair of Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education functions on the basis of the Centre.
The Centre numbers 1750 employees, 389 doctors, 150 of them of the highest category and 91 of the first one, 23 doctors and 73 masters of medical and biological sciences, 12 professors.
The Centre has developed and utilized unique methods of treatment having no analogues in the CIS countries and throughout the world, such as:
- Whole -body hyperthermia of advanced cancers
- Photodynamic therapy of precancers in female genitals
The Centre`s specialists master all methods of surgical treatment, radio- and chemotherapy for all forms of malignant tumors, utilized in the global practice.
The diagnostic services are equipped with modern facilities allowing to establish the diagnosis at the earliest possible date in the most complicated cases.
Four modern linear accelerators (Varian Medical Systems)
N. N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre has at its disposal a stock of four modern linear electron accelerators (Varian Medical Systems, USA) making it possible to administer high-tech radiotherapy for all cancer sites, including stereotaxic radiosurgery.
Radiation treatment of cancer patients is performed using the following techniques:
- VMAT (volumetric modulated are therapy)
- IMRT (intensity modulated radiotherapy)
- SRS (stereotaxic radiosurgery)
- SRT (stereotaxic radiotherapy)
- IGRT (image -guided radiotherapy)
- 3D-CRT (3D conformal radiotherapy)
The employment of Truebeam STx and Trilogy linear accelerators of the latest generation secures:
- reduction in tumor irradiation time owing to greater radiation power;
- possibility of preserving healthy organs and tissues undamaged;
- improvement in the quality of cancer patient treatment: the side effects of radiotherapy are significantly less manifested.
The employment of Leksel Gamma Knife® Perflextion stereotaxic gamma unit (Elekta, Sweden) ensures:
- performance of radiotherapy over one day (1-4 hours) without evident discomfort for the patient;
- reduction in radiation exposure of other body parts, compared with other techniques;
- an almost 3-fold decrease in the probability of metastatic disease after the treatment.
The employment of the most advanced Flexitron brachytherapy system (Nucletron, Netherlands) offers:
- possibility of utilizing higher radiation doses without any harm for the whole body;
- local radiation effect only in the tumor area, securing minimal contact with the adjacent healthy tissues and organs;
- potential for prostate cancer treatment;
- a long recurrence-free time period;
- short rehabilitation time.
More than 150 patients with tumors of various sites are daily administered radiation treatment as monotherapy or part of combination and multimodality therapy.
The basic wealth of N. N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre is its well cooperated team of likeminded people, skilled professionals daily labouring in common to achieve the main aim of good progress in cancer control.